- 55 minutes
- (4 serves)
- 350 gr (11 1/2 oz) fine or superfine white rice
- 500 gr (1 lb) Marina variety pumpkin
- 1 large pat butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Just under 1 l (1 quart) beef broth (from a bullion cube if desired)
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- parsley as a garnish.
Remove the skin, seeds and filaments from the pumpkin and thinly slice. Heat the oil in a casserole and, over moderate heat, sauté the minced onion. Add the pumpkin slices, season with salt, pepper and a pinch of grated nutmeg and sauté for a few minutes over high heat, stirring often.
Add a ladle of broth, cover and simmer for about twenty minutes until the pumpkin is very soft. Add nearly all the rest of the broth and, as soon as it boils, add the rice and cook, if needed adding more broth. When the risotto is done, add the cheese and butter, stir to mix and then pour onto a platter, garnishing the edges with parsley sprigs.